Judgment Day

It was almost the end of the course, but there was one more step I had to take before I had officially completed it and become a qualified TESOL teacher. We had to have an interview with the moderator of the course. It came in two forms. The first was a group interview where we give feedback on our tutors as well as the course itself. The second was an individual interview with the moderator, where we had to talk about one piece of material used in our teaching practice. I agonised about this because I couldn’t decide what one I wanted to do.

I decided to do a worksheet that related to different types of food from around the world, specifically North American food and Vegemite. We also had to fill out a form which had a word limit so. Before submitting it for moderation, SZ had to check it. She contacted me saying that I needed to write more and be specific. I remember feeling frustrated because I had no idea what I had to write, and I only had a small amount of time left before it had to be sent in for review. I also remember talking to one of my course mates and getting upset because I didn’t know what to do, and I felt like I was going to fail the course. She calmed me down, and she showed me what she had written as well as send a list of questions the moderator could ask us. I felt a bit better after that, and when I felt ready to write the form again, I got the coursebook I bought and used that. When I finished and sent it to SZ for review, she said it was much better, and I was relieved. All I had to do now was make some notes on how I would answer the questions I could be asked in the moderation interview.

Judgment Day had arrived. I remember spending the whole morning feeling anxious, so anxious that I wanted to throw up. I tried eating something and have a drink of water before going in. My turn had arrived, and I swear I was shaking like a leaf when I walked into the room (not a cute look). I sat down, and before the interview began, I looked at the sheet of paper to see what my coursemates had scored. It wasn’t clear so I couldn’t see. During the interview, I remember looking over at the sheet of paper to see if he had put down any points on the exam sheet. I couldn’t see which made my anxiety even worse. I have no idea how long the interview lasted, but it felt like forever. Once I walked out of the room, I remember shaking my head and making the cut-throat gesture. SET. Why? I went home straight after the interview, and all I could think about was did I pass the moderation interview. We had all planned to go out for a meal and drinks, so I decided to have a power nap so I can feel fresh and ready to go should I pass the exam.

About two hours after I got home, SZ messaged the group to say we all passed. She messaged me separately saying I got 21 out of 24 and that she was so proud of me. I remember staring at my phone and trying to digest what she had written. Did she just write that I passed the course? OMG, I PASSED THE COURSE!!! I screamed and started jumping up and down the place. Once I gained my composure, I messaged my sister telling her the good news, and video called my mum. I told her the good news, and she was thrilled saying how proud she was. I started to feel overwhelmed by it all but tried hard not to cry. I told her that I’m going out for dinner and drinks with my course mates to celebrate and I’d see her in a few days because she was in Spain and I was flying out in a few days for Christmas. Once I got off the phone, I started to cry. It was the good kind because I finally felt like things were starting to look up for me after having a terrible year. I got ready for the night out.

We went to Nando’s and booked a large table. I thought we would have to be put onto separate tables because there was about 16 of us, including our course tutors. Thankfully, the staff put them all together. The way the tables were formed, it looked like we were having The Last Supper, and we quite literally were having the last supper because this would be our last outing as a group. I have no idea how long we were there, but I think we were there for a long time because I could see the staff looking at us and some of the people sat nearby. After we left Nando’s, a few of us went bar hopping and had a drink or two. One of the girls said she wanted to stay out which I was more than happy to do because I like going out, and it was a special occasion. We ended up in the Gay Village. I don’t remember much, but I know I had a good time. The next morning, bloody hell. I was hungover as hell, but a cold shower and some toast got me feeling sweet as a nut again. I didn’t do much that day other than finish packing my suitcase.

So that was it. I am now a qualified TESOL teacher, and it is time to go to Spain and enjoy the Christmas holidays. Next year, start looking for a job.

Lessons learned:

  • Use the damn coursebook
  • Don’t walk out of the room, making negative gestures. It’s not a cute look.
  • It’s okay to cry with happiness.
  • Unexpected nights out are some of the best nights out, so don’t be afraid to go out last minute.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: